Pages

Followers

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Unintended Influences

Woman and Wall by Jiri Hodan
image from publicdomainpictures.net

Those bullying girls skilled
In the art of middle school torture,
The dishonest men who received affection
But only returned derision and betrayal,
The non-believers seeking to inject
Their doubts into my resolve…
They’ve taken their shots,
Scarring my ego,
Almost destroyed me,
But they fueled my defiance,
Made me push me past my limitations,
And they continue to drive me
To build a legacy worth leaving behind.


~~~ This poem was written for the latest prompt in the series Poetic Bloomings is hosting to help us create poetic memoirs.  This time around we were asked to write about someone (outside of our family) that has influenced us.


4 comments:

Susan said...

Uh huh: What doesn't kill me makes me stronger. Much more poetically, of course.

Madeleine Begun Kane said...

Wow! Very powerful!

Mary said...

Follow your own star, Mary! We all have to!

Grace said...

I believe these challenges make us stronger and more defiant to strive for our goals ~ Great post Mary ~