Pages

Followers

Friday, April 13, 2012

Superstitions



The wheel of fortune spins,
Throwing omens of ill will onto my path,
Attempting to instill fear into my life.
I laugh at the owl outside
My window in the dawn’s light,
As I snuggle close to my black cats.
Wrapped in the fragments of  broken mirrors,
I step on sidewalk cracks with no qualms,
Tempting fate underneath ladders,
Dancing through rooms,
Open umbrella in hand.

I’ve no need for lucky charms,
Horseshoes or four leaf clovers,
Rabbit’s feet or found pennies.
The omens mean so little,
For once upon a time
A spider wove my initials into her web,
Bestowing good luck upon me
For the rest of my days.

3 comments:

Mary said...

I love the ending! Glad that the initials woven into the web brought GOOD luck rather than bad.

Mary B. Mansfield said...

I actually stumbled across that little superstition as I was doing research. I had never heard about initials in a spider web before and it just felt so poetic to me.

Adura Ojo said...

I love it, Mary M. Lovely flow and I like how it creates that suspense of something possibly happening, until the positive note at the end. A great Friday the 13th entry.